A Composting Method that works Super Fast!

Thanks! Share it with your friends!

Otherwise known as the Berkeley Method, taught to me by Geoff Lawton, a permaculture teacher, found here: geofflawtononline.com .

• Rating:
  • Views:1,366 views
  • Tags: -
  • Categories: Composting

Comments

guloguloguy says:

WOW!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Apparently, Manure, and proper moisture, is the key composting ingredient!

hope crews says:

do you have any trouble with weed seeds in fresh manure?

hope crews says:

Wood chips a good thing check out back to Eden garden method! I'm in love with chips.

florie Brown says:

Hi Rick I have read every comment made on this video, I do agree your method is great. I have learned a lot from you. I also noticed the vegetation growing in your garden most of which contain useful mineral for composting. Yarrow is one it encourages decomposition, nettles however I have not notice valerian and dandy lion. Oak bark is another good addition to the compost.
I got hooked on composting about 8 years ago when a large tree was cut resulting in a very large mound of saw dust. I was advised to burn it and I refused. But Out of the blue I decided to mix it with the mown grass, I got very excited when it got very hot. This is what encouraged me in study horticulture and last year I did a PDC with Geoff lawton. I love composting. I mix leaves with grass cutting and add wood ash from my wood burning stove, coffee ground comfrey and chicken manure. My fruit trees fruit the first year in a pot using my home made compost.

Joseph Lynn says:

Can you direct me to where you got that hat? I love it.

terry brown says:

incredible talking beard.

zpoedog says:

Great looking compost! I make mine that way but I cheat. I use my tractor to turn the pile.
Nice looking garden!

John

Alex Clarke says:

I love these videos, your garden, that hat, and seeing a grown man giggle at dirt. Keep up the awesome work, Rick! Super inspiring.

Plain Ol' American says:

Hey Rick,thank you for sharing your experience. The proof of your success is in the beautiful garden surrounding you ! keep it up. I want that hat ! :)

Steve Brule says:

so i shouldn't poop in my tomato garden?

Simon Else says:

Permaculture is a pyramid scheme where a small group make money off of impressionable wide-eyed idealist types. I studied it for years and even did an internship with Geoff at Zaytuna farm.

Jude Irwin says:

I would have enjoyed this more if the presenter had climbed out from under his lampshade so we could see his face.

Garry Hoddinott says:

Yeaah you've gotta love compost. And your's is looking very good. Actually I'm surprised you are not giving your compost a spray of water as you turn it. I find that helps. I save urine, water it down about 1:15 and add it to the pile, I dont have animals. Its not too well known, but a few shovel fulls of earth spread thru the compost helps lots. A bit of clay in it especially so.

karunald says:

I'd use that. For 'me' – it's 'ready'. Am I wrong?

Ferhat şimşek says:

Ferhat şimşek1 saniye önce
hayvan gübresi günümüze kadar yanlış degerlendirilmiştir sinek ve mikrop çevre kirliligi yaratılmış1.2. yıl bekletilerek deger kaybı yaratılıp kullanılmıştır ayrıca çok işcilik verilerek fermante edilmesi saglanmaya çalışılmıştır benim proje ve fikrim uygulandıgı takdirde bu sorunlar ortadan kalkıp hayvan gübresi günlük bile olsa 15 gün içerisinde tarımın her alanında en yüksek verimi ile tarımın her alanında kullanılması saglanacaktır dünya bu pislikten kurtulsun isterim lütfen yardımcı olun

VinleyFine says:

Thankyou!

Krestian Kvart says:

thats amazing, i think this summer i will have to try it out! bought alot of seeds for carrots, cabbage and ssome herbs this year, ended up having to throw them away since i tried seeding them in soil that was chock full of fertilizer, needless to say it dident work. i think i have to seed in a milder soil.

slazbar says:

Thanks. Rick! Great information, great compost, great guy! Living the life with nature.

Greenhorse says:

That's great, I use my compost a lot.

Uwe Abraham says:

Enjoyed the video & info & cool hat

WombatHide says:

i love the starwars hooded affect you get from your hat , now to simply master lightning from the fingers :P

John Bladykas says:

Great Video but did anybody ever tell you it's easier to use a pitch fork

Mitch Engels says:

I love your vids! Very informative.

skkfor says:

Excellent info, my friend. You are a compost making machine! BTW, I also love the feel of compost between my toes @ 9:25. Many thanks for taking the time to make the vid and share the info.

havfaith S. says:

The plants will do just fine. If your soil was lifeless then adding wood chips might lock up nitrogen.

UPGardenr says: